Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Unniyappam- The Kerala Savoury

Unniyappam is a traditional snack famous in Kerala. They are available in all south Indian stores, and have never been my favorites  I still remember how my kunjamma(mausi) had made them at home, and they were really soft and chewy. I never get those juicy ones in markets.


When I found my mom's lost ring after 3 months, I demanded for Unniyappams in return, and then I learnt that it can only be made in a mold called 'Appakara'. I had never seen this mold, and obviously not available in ncr region.
Then, I took an oath that I'll get this for my mom at any cost. Thanks to my father-in-law. He ordered the mold all the way from Kerala.


I was extremely excited to see this cute looking heavy metal object, and making it would be more exciting.

I am sharing my moms recipe and how I made it to success. I did burn the first set, but later I successfully got a good amount of tasty Unniyappams in hand.



INGREDIENTS I USED

Rice flour  : 1 cup
Banana  : 1
Jaggery  : 1/2 cup
Milk  : 1 tbsp.
Cardamom powder  : 1 tsp.
Salt  : a pinch
Coconut bits  :  a handful
Baking soda : a pinch
Vegetable oil



PROCEDURE

I-Preparing the mixture

1. Dry roast the rice flour for a minute and keep aside. Similarly dry roast the coconut bits for a minute.

2. For molasses, melt jaggery with 1/4th cup water, strain and keep aside to cool.



3. Dice banana into small pieces and add into the roasted rice flour.

4. Now add molasses into the above mixture and mix all together with a blender or mixer.



5. Add cardamom powder, salt and coconut bits and keep aside for 3 hours.



6. The batter should be of pouring consistency, if it thickens add milk

7. Before frying, add baking soda and coconut bits to the batter and mix well
(Note: baking soda starts working immediately, do not keep the batter for long)

II-Unniyappam frying

1. Heat the Appakara and pour oil to each cavity till half , as it will risen after pouring the batter



2. Heat the oil, and reduce flame to low

3. Now pour in the batter with a spoon, till 3/4th of the cavity.



4. After 10-20 seconds when it turns brown flip them with a fork or knife (keep checking the doneness without burning)

5. Fry the other side again for few seconds (beware it can burn quickly, keep an eye on the flame too)

6. Remove and drain them on a paper towel.

Repeat the same procedure for the rest

Cool them under room temperature. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment