Saturday, January 05, 2013

Red Velvet Cake

Another lousy Sunday it was, when my hubby was doing the most important task of my life i.e. sleeping. After all the boriyat I chose to do what I enjoy doing the most. No marks for guessing, obviously it was baking.

I was wondering for what to bake. Something new. At least not a cake. Alright, at least not the ones that look similar always. Oh these winters won't let me easily beat the butter at such a chilling room temperature obviously.
Finally I decided to bake a red velvet cake that I have never ever had in my whole life. I used to wonder by watching those pictures that why does a red cake has a middle name Velvet there!
After all, any other cake would be soft or may be dense, and none of those pictures show me any surprise elements!!and when I was done doing all the decoration work and started cutting through it voilla!!

Man, you gotta try sliding your knife into it..it felt like poking into a bulk of cream..Ooooooooh..silky velvet..and the rich flavour was absolutely yummy
I chose my heart cake pan. It wasn't a valentines though. Just rehearsing for the day.lolz

So here I am sharing my recipe for Red Velvet Cake with buttercream icing topped with choco balls



INGREDIENTS I USED

Plain flour sifted - 2 1/2 cups
Baking powder - 1 tsp.
Salt - 1 tsp.
Unsweetened cocoa powder - 2 Tbsp.
Red food coloring - 50 ml.
Butter at room temperature - 120 gm.
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Eggs at room temperature - 2 nos.
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp.
Buttermilk - 1 cup
White vinegar - 1 tsp

PROCEDURE

1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until
light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla and the red colour, scraping down
the bowl frequently with a spatula.
4 .Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat well, then beat in half of the buttermilk.
5. Beat in another third of flour mixture, then second half of buttermilk. End with the last third of the flour mixture, beat until well combined, making sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula and no lumps form
6. In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda. Add it to the cake batter and stir well to
combine.
7. Now preheat your oven at 180°C
8. Working quickly, pour batter evenly into the cake pan and bake at 180°C for 25-30
minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
9. Cool the cake in their pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

To remove the cakes from the pan, place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, then gently lift the pan. Allow cakes to cool completely before icing
(I lined my pan with butter paper on the bottom and the sides that makes my life easier)

For buttercream recipe click here


My friend Neha Deval had  inspired me to post this recipe here or I was too lasy to write it down :)

2 comments:

  1. This is Awesome!! I made red velvet cupcakes last Christmas and they truly are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah ritzy..they are indeed fabulous

    ReplyDelete