Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Nadan Beef Curry - Thattukadayin Marayatthu->From the streets of Kerala

As winters' temperature dropping down, mommy's choosing all non veg menus this month. I don't remember if it was mom or hubby who summoned the name Beef curry first, but I decided to go for beef fry (which didn't happen). In my entire 25 year's life's journey, all I remember about beef was one- that I have had it once in my childhood, and two- the second time I bought beef fry from one local south indian restaurants in vaishali, and it was a rotten pack. As I was not too fond of beef (yuck), I never did think to try it ever. I had only heard christian folks having beef curries but not in my family ancestors. Na na

Anyways. I was all set to prepare this beef curry with full enthusiasm. I was just cooking without any expectations to get a fully cooked plus tasty street beef curry. Why street vendors' beef? Oh man, my husband is a big fan of thattukadas ( my new discovery about him )
Lets start the recipe without anymore ado



INGREDIENTS

1. Beef - 1/2 Kg

2. The Spices To be ground together

  • Ginger - 1 Tbsp.
  • Garlic cloves - 10
  • Cardamom pods - 2
  • Cloves - 4
  • Cinnamon - 2"
  • Fennels - 1 tsp.
  • Pepper - 1/2 tsp.
  • Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp.
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp.

3. Sauteing ingredients  

  • Onions - 2 nos. ( diced fine)
  • Ginger - 2"
  • Green Chilies - 3

4. Coconut oil & Curry leaves

PROCEDURE

1. Wash the beef thoroughly for more than 4 times minimum and cut into 2" pieces

2. Drain all water and in a pressure cooker mix beef with some salt and pepper powder and pressure cook for 15 minutes or until cooked (I cooked it half and then cooked again at the end)

3. Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves and the ground paste (#3) to saute for a minute till the onions are soft

4. Now add the ground spices (#2) and fry for another minute or till the oil starts leaving

5. Add 2 cups of water and beef pieces with a tsp. of salt and stir (you can add more water according to your requirement)

6. Close the pan for 5 minutes and let it cook (or until done) under medium low flame

7. Check the doneness and cook uncovered until the gravy thickens

Serve hot with chapattis, porotha, puttu or rice

No comments:

Post a Comment