Thursday, December 13, 2012

Methi Matar Malai



From the local Dhaabas to The Five Star Hotels, this particular name is always available in the menu books.

Methi ( Fenugreek leaves)- the leafy veg available in winters and very much used by household women this season. I remember when three of us in the office opened our lunch boxes to see Aloo methi common in the tiffings and that's how the perception set in my mind - Methi means Aloo methi.

Oh the other hero of the menu Mr. Matar (Green Pea) - another winter veg, but never overshadowed by any other. Be it a juicy curry, a thick subzi, or a colourful rice pulao, Green pea has always beautifully taken the credits of the cuisine.

Today because my husband had bought a bulk of methi already chopped by the vendor, I had to finish them gradually before they perish due to moisture. I anyways was not gonna make Aloo methi thing again..and then I recalled this name that I had read many times and had tried twice, that turned out to have a rich and royal flavour- Methi Malai Mutter..uh..yeah Methi Matar Malai.

I religiously followed the recipe and it did take a good amount of my time. But if I was ready with a mouth melting flavour, toh kee fark painda hai? Everybody has his/her own verision and so do I

So... shall we start? Okay my sweethearts, here we go

Tip: Do not overfry the methi
       Do  not add much of spices


INGREDIENTS I USED

  Chopped fenugreek leaves - 2 1/2 Cups
  Cumin Seeds - 1/2 Tsp
  Chopped Onion - 1
  Large Tomatoes - 3 or Small Tomatoes - 5
  Boiled Green Peas - 1 Cup
  Milk - 1 Cup
  Sugar - A Pinch
  Salt to Taste
  Coriander Leaves for Garnish

TO BE GROUND INTO PASTE
  Onion - 1
  Green Chillies - 4 (Increase acc. to taste)
  Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 Tsp. OR 1" Ginger + 3 Cloves Garlic
  Cashewnuts - 2 Tbsp.
  (I used half cashews and half Musk melon seeds)

FOR MASALA (ROASTED LIGHTLY AND POWDERED
  Cinnamon (Dalchini) - 2 Small Sticks
  Cloves (Laung) - 4
  Black peppercorns (Kalimirch) - 4
  Cardamoms (Elaichi) - 2
  Cumin Seeds (Jeera) - 1 Tsp.
  I crushed them in Pestle Mortar


PROCEDURE
  • Wash the fenugreek leaves and add 1/2 tsp. salt. And squeeze out the water

  • Boil the tomatoes. Peel off and blend into a puree

  • Heat 2 Tbsp. oil and add cumin seeds

  • After they stop crackle add fenugreek leaves and cook for 3 minutes.Set aside

  • Heat the remaining oil and fry your onions till golden brown

  • Now add your paste and fry for 1 minute



  • Add tomato puree and masala powder and stir again for 2 minutes



  • Finally add the green peas, fenugreek leaves, milk, sugar and salt together. (Add water if it thickens more than your requirement. I didn't)





  • Cook for 3-4 minutes


  • Garnish with Coriander leaves and Serve Hot

2 comments: